In the 1640s in Salle, the Mari family became one of the suppliers of violin strings to both Amati and Stradivari in Cremona. Throughout the 18th and 19th centuries the “House of Mari” also operated a metal foundry that manufactured church bells. In 1920, the brand “La Bella” is officially trademarked and used in E. & O. Mari’s line of orchestral gut strings, eventually becoming the flagship brand of the company.
Today E. & O. Mari / La Bella remains the oldest incorporated, continuously family-owned & operated music string manufacturer in the world, passed from Olinto Mari to his daughter Elisabetta Mari, and then to her son Richard Mari Cocco Jr., President and her grandson Eric Cocco, Vice-President and granddaughter, Lorenza Cocco. An advocate of the arts and music education worldwide, E. & O. Mari sponsors jazz and rock performance clinics, professional artist appearances and residencies. La Bella also supports many guitar festivals and competitions by subsidizing scholarships and awards.